Thursday, January 23, 2014

Recipe: Black Bean Brownies

A few days ago I was browsing Instagram, and I stumbled upon this recipe for healthy black bean brownies, and instantly had to give it a try.

By some sort of luck, I happened to have all of the ingredients handy, so I ran into my kitchen and whipped up a batch of these babies.... I can't even remember the last time I had a brownie, and to be able to find something healthy?? I'm in.

Ok, so here's the recipe:

Black Bean Brownies

Ingredients:

1 15oz can black beans (drained)
3 eggs
1/2 cup carob powder or cacao powder
1/3 cup coconut sugar
3 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup unsweetened chocolate chips (optional)

(I didn't use chocolate chips because I didn't have any, but if I ever feel like making these just a little "bad" I'd definitely add them in for a little more sweetness.)

Preheat oven to 350˚ and spray an 8 inch baking pan. Place beans (drained) in a blender and pulse until smooth. Add remaining ingredients except the chocolate chips and blend / pulse until smooth. If you are using chocolate chips, add them in now before adding the batter to the baking pan. Spread any remaining chocolate chips on top of the batter in the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

Ummmmm I know these are a distant relative to the original decadent pastries we call brownies, but oh-my-goodness are these yummy. They are a perfect little treat that you don't have to feel guilty about. Especially if you put delicious toppings like strawberries and a little bit of cool whip on top.

What toppings would you put on these little babies?

No comments:

Post a Comment