Thursday, October 17, 2013

Past and present....

When I started this fitness adventure, I started from square one. I remember the first run I ever went on. I remember my lungs burning after the first half mile, and I had only planned on running one - maybe two. I was encouraged to run with a group from work who ran on their lunch breaks. They were incredibly kind, and understanding that I wasn't a runner, and one of them chose to stay back (waaaaaaaay back) with me as I struggled not to start walking after this first half mile. I was embarrassed and every inch of my being wanted to turn around and hide back in my cubicle in shame, but this coworker insisted I keep going. He pushed me to run 2.75 miles. That was 2.75 miles of pure torture. My ankles were killing me, my calfs were burning and my lungs felt like they were going to explode. I couldn't believe I made it.... and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have.

This was almost 3 years ago.

I ran for the remainder of that year, promising myself to work up to a 5K (3.1 miles) without stopping. I even signed up for a 5K race in the town I worked in. And I ended up running it, and only walking a little. Slowly but surely I became a better runner.

Now I am working towards my first 10K in November, the Mermaid Run in San Francisco. I'm excited. This will be the furthest I've ever run before -  and while I'm in the best shape of my life!
Last night I went out to this park that has a 1.4 mile loop running path around it. I ran it 3.5 times -  for a total of 5 miles. Thats just 1.2 miles away from where I need to be, and I could have easily done that.

Needless to say I have come a LONG way from that first run. Sometimes I just need to remember how far I've come. It's been a long road, but now I can run the whole thing! ;)

E


No comments:

Post a Comment