Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Turning Point

Last night I saw an old friend I hadn't seen in a year. We met at work way back when. We just got along so well and became fast friends. I moved on from that company with a new job and she and her husband had a baby... so this explains our gap in hangout time. But we finally got to meet up again... and boy did it help me get back on the diet wagon... heres how:

I'm not judgmental, but from my experience in the past with seeing friends have kids, I've learned that having a baby changes things. It changes your body, and most of the time, makes you gain weight. When I saw my friend last night she looked thinner and fitter than before she had her baby. It was a WOW kind of moment... I was amazed at how awesome she looked, and then thought, why don't I look that good?

After talking with her about her life-changing motherhood, she told me how she gained 50 lbs during her pregnancy, but brisk walking daily, and eating almost all vegetables and fruits with whole grains (occasionally she'll eat fish, but she's mostly vegetarian) she lost her baby weight -- and then some.

Walking and veggies. Is it really that simple? It got me thinking... perhaps motherhood for her created a shift in priorities. Before the baby she thought more about food and cooking and recipes and what her husband would think was tasty, and now she just makes sure she eats and eats healthy. Food is a lower priority than baby.

Maybe I should re-prioritize my own outlook on food. I put food at the number one spot on my list. WHY? because it's the reason I am so unhappy with my self-image. It is my main focus, my drug of choice, and I give it way too much attention. So what I am going to do is this: Food is what keeps me alive. Eat what's right, and what's good for me. Splurge once a week... that's it. I'm changing my workout routine to walking every day, with a run once a week. If I keep it low-impact and do it longer I burn the same amount of calories without the pain and suffering. I am NOT becoming a vegetarian, but I think I might give the idea of ridding my diet of RED MEAT a try... Chicken and Fish only.

It's amazing how inspired you can get when you see someone break the mold and succeed with weight loss. I can only hope that I will be able to do what she did... baby or no baby.

1 comment:

  1. that is awesome!!! wow...impressive!! but i definitely think that walking and veggies are vital. i hate running...so i walk. BRISKLY!!!! i honestly dont think you burn THAT much more calories running...so says my moms body bug. not enough to make me run. haha...
    im glad you had this turning point. sounds like a good one! good luck chick!

    ReplyDelete